Are you eligible for SFU Tax Program services?
The SFU Tax Program prepares income tax returns according to the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program’s eligibility policy. The CVITP assists eligible taxpayers who have low income, simple, and non-complex tax situations.
These suggested maximum income levels should serve as a guideline only.
|Taxpayer Status||Your Income (Line 150)|
|Individual||Up to $30,000|
|One adult with a child||Up to $35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependent)|
|Couple||Up to $40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependent)|
Eligible taxpayers normally served by the CVITP include:
- Aboriginal peoples
- Low-income individuals and social assistance recipients
- Newcomers to Canada
Volunteers do not prepare tax returns for individuals who:
- Own foreign property worth over $100,000
- Have self-employment income
- Have business or rental income and expenses
- Have capital gains or losses
- Have employment expenses
- File for bankruptcy
- Are completing a tax return for a deceased person
- Are Exchange Students staying in Canada for less than 1 year
- Are visiting Canada
For further information, refer to the CRA’s website by clicking here.